"DRM-Free" = GOG?

I also preferred a GOG version of the game, DRM-free and with GOG.com providing the updates. What is the problem with GOG?

Steam would be my second choice, because as it was stated earlier, it will also be the DRM-free verison of the game anyhow. My problem with Steam is that I don’t want to depend on Steam for the download. GOG at least provides an offline-installable game, although they also managed to make some updates exclusive to their own GOG Galaxy client (i.e. you get updates from the GOG Galaxy client for games that you cannot download as standalone installers/updates…).

BUT what about the integration of online functions (such as screenshot uploads and some sort of game community), extra content such as DLCs and such? Or more precisely: how will the game know my backer status, and therefore what extra items and wardrobe I deserve?

One more issue I have with Steam is that I would be unable to download the Linux version of the game on Windows or the Mac version on Linux and so on…

As a sidenote: why not provide something like GOG connect? I have bought a couple of games from Humble Bundle, got Steam keys with them (sometimes also DRM-free stand-alone downloads, but not always) and through https://www.gog.com/connect I was able to additionally put them into my GOG library, thus providing the off-line installable version from GOG. Not all games came that way, true, but I guess it all depends on what you guys negotiate with GOG.com.

As a Linux backer, but a realist computer user, I would prefer to be able to play the game on Windows and Linux likewise. I would also prefer to play it on macOS one day, should I get one of them far too expensive machines which are basically overprized PCs with a not-so-great-anymore operating system… But I am multi-platform, multi-computing-system and multi-operating-system, so this is where I stand: having to choose, and since I support Linux as a desktop platform, I cannot not choose Linux, even if I lateron want to play the game on Windows… :-[

In short:

1. What is the problem with (the negotiations with) GOG.com?
  2. Why not later add GOG.com, after an initial release on Steam? (GOG Connect) Means this: everyone gets Steam keys, and those who are interested can add the game to their GOG library later.
  3. What about the backer tiers? Will they require some sort of Internet connection to get them or will this work by key, i.e. offline?
  4. Can you please clearly state that I will ONLY get the Linux version if I have chosen so, when using DRM-free instead of Steam? (I hope not! I want Windows/Mac/Linux, but please say it. Thanks.)
  5. And, important particularly for the previous question: Will the Steam version be multi-platform?

Thanks. And sorry, I am very busy with work, it suddenly came up and since then I have little to no time to do anything else… Gaming became a very rare activity since…

I made my selection for a DRM-free key before hearing that it won’t be with GOG. How do I change over to a steam key?
I prefer my games on GOG but I’d go with steam before installing another DRM-free launcher!

To anyone that needs to change their survey response on BackerKit, there’s two potential ways to do this:

If you still have complimentary credit, you can select to change your address, which will allow you to access the survey answers and change to your preferred key.

If your survey is locked down and you cannot make any edits, you will need to contact us at support@otherside-e.com letting us know what you would like your key preference changed to.

As we’ve mentioned earlier in the thread, we had a contract and expected to launch with GoG. It is not that we decided against working with them. Due to their new curation program, we were unable to secure DRM-free keys with them on launch day, and it’s unsure when GoG will host UWA. As a result, we’ll be providing DRM-free keys through another vendor. We are still in talks with several different options to see what is most viable.

Good to know that the Steam release is basically DRM free.

Jeez. Then launch later on GoG.
I hope it’s clear that while choosing some third class DRM free alternative might be something that helps OE, it surely hurts the backers. Their pledge is burned then and when the game is finally relased on GoG, they would have to buy it again. That’s not how to thank your backers for their trust and money.

Is there a way not to get that other option, and wait until GOG release will be ready? I’d really prefer the GOG one. I don’t mind waiting until you are ready to release on GOG. Unless you for some reason can’t release on GOG at all?

Same for me. I’m fine with waiting too. I don’t play many games anymore, so I usually just use GOG.

So if the problem with GOG is momentary and a later GOG release is not out of question, then why not to allow people to postpone the decision, until a GOG release is available and they can choose that option on the BackerKit site. Those growing impatient then could still take a Steam key I guess.

Because there is no certainty that the game will be on GOG. If they promise the backers GOG keys and can’t deliver, what then?

That’s what I did. I chose DRM-free. And I just checked, the survey has now been locked anyhow. No more changes possible.

You can write to support@otherside-e.com and they’ll change your answer.

I myself also went with DRM-free, though. I have the feeling the game will be on GOG anyway and if not, Humble or itch.io are not bad alternatives, since I’ve already bought games from both.

Just want to say that Humble Bundle is a decent place for DRM-free. (Their library layout is atrocious though.)

Whatever store UA releases the DRM-free version to, I hope that GOG eventually allows those people who own a copy at the other store to get a free activation of a copy on GOG. They’ve been doing that with a few, select Steam games in the past (it does, unfortunately, require the user to permanently link their GOG account to their Steam account).

Well, this news came like a kick in the Underworld!

1. With appreciation for the fact that this situation is not what OSE planned or wanted, the buck still stops with them: OSE created the expectation with us backers that we will be able to get a DRM-free copy via GOG. Therefore I trust that OSE will continue to be accommodating in this regard, as they already seem to be. Perhaps we can be provided with a DRM-free version on release day from whatever provider suits OSE’s needs (to satisfy their legal obligations), and then later be provided with the option to “move” that release to GOG, when (if) those issues are resolved. That way excited DRM-free backers can start playing the game when it launches on the 15th, and those of us who don’t mind waiting can “just chill” ;). Both groups will still get the long term benefits of GOG distribution… if that deal goes through.

2. Companies like OSE and GOG (and Linux games in general) get my support, at least partially, because of their perceived values. I’m sure I’m not unique in that position. Given these issues that OSE are experiencing with GOG, as well as other concerns regarding GOG cropping up, it seems like their values may be shifting, as often happens with successful ventures. To that end I would like to ask OSE to share the withheld details of their experience with GOG with us (the OSE community), as a service to us, when the time is right. It would not only allow us to understand the GOG delay/non-delivery better, but also to update our view of GOG accordingly. If GOG’s focus has somehow shifted it may be time to start looking for (and supporting) an alternative. So the wheel turns. On the other hand, even if the “blame” ultimately falls at OSE’s feet, it’s surely better to just come clean about it, than to have wild speculations abound?

I sincerely wish OSE a great release on Thursday, and hope that issues such as these do not unnecessarily detract from this long anticipated game. Long live the Underworld! Long live OtherSide!

Wow, quite some censoring going on here. Obviously it’s now allowed to utter the suspicion that DRM free backers are “gently” pushed into voting for Steam by neglecting the most popular and user friendly DRM platform and instead coming up with great ideas like having to log in to a dedicated account to access your “DRM free” copy - which is actually quite the opposite of “DRM free”. While censoring unwelcome posts instead of arguing against them doesn’t mean they are right, it’s surely not a good sign either. Like the money of DRM free backers was good enough, but their opinion obviously isn’t.

Actually, GOG was never part of kickstarter campaign texts or FAQ, the whole time only “DRM-free digital download” was promised. So if they release elsewhere, they still fulfil their original KS.

(I would strongly prefer GOG over anything else personally, I’m just trying to point out, that GOG was not really part of campaign “promise”, it was just obvious first choice, until OSE met with release reality of GOG, which is not that trivial)

I still somewhat hope they will later release GOG and somehow manage to deliver to backers who didn’t use the other option, but they are not obliged to do that.

… and as 0xdeadbeef points out above, yes, working immediately on some kind of launcher and account thing is cancelling the point of DRM-free release instantly. I can see how you want to make updating simpler for ordinary users, but I believe just doing optional check from game menu if patch is available is enough. Whoever bothers so much with DRM, that wants to have non-steam version, should be able to handle also manual patching, but the game must in the first place be able to install/update without any external source like Internet, or licensing scheme, that’s what DRM-free is about.

Actually, thanks to having already seen far to many Kickstarter developers fumbling the release of their DRM-free version one way or another, I sent a bunch of questions to OSE during their Kickstarter drive, one of them being “Is the DRM-free version also going to be sold on GOG and not only released to the backers?”, for which I got the simple but definitive answer “Yes”.

But to be fair, my question was more about making sure that the game I might be funding is not going to be a Steam-exclusive for non-backers than about GOG specifically, so feel free to interpret the answer also coming from angle.

Planning to put a game on GOG and getting on GOG are two different things. Ultimately, it’s up to GOG, as a heavily curated platform, and with indie titles, it’s GOG who gets to dictate a lot of the terms, including release dates.

We are not trying to push more backers towards Steam. If that were the case, we could have forced all backers to select a Steam key (as the game is DRM-free anyways, you can play it completely offline).

We understand it’s important to a lot of people to have a DRM-free option, which is why we’re working so hard to make up for this. We’re still not sure if GoG will host UWA after launch, which lends to our hesitation to promise GoG keys to backers at a later date.

We’ll definitely keep you all in the loop as we continue our talks. As of today, we still have not locked down a DRM-free vendor either.

I think most backers would be okay with self-hosting as a temporary solution at launch as long as there is an understanding that OSE will work towards getting the game on GOG or, should that fail for some reason, Humble.

Otherwise, you’ll end up juggling two DRM-free places, and managing updates for them is not always as easy and straight-forward as you might think.

https://itch.io is quite permissive, and will easily accept your game. They are DRM-free. I’d still prefer the option of GOG if possible and can wait. I’d use itch.io as second option though, if GOG will never be available for the release.