Layoffs at OtherSide

The profit isn’t there. Immersive sims are dead again because Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2 and Prey all sold poorly.

Then make it an online 1st person VR shoot-em-up (with offline content). An immersive world crawling puzzler with plot driven twists and other players with which to deal ???

Whatever “immersive” means, other people are the exact opposite of that.

If being designed as online games, where live humans interrupting each other’s fun is where the “content” comes from, is the only way to save the immersive sim genre, then let it die.

Alternately, as I’ve suggested over on Discord, there are a couple of options:

1. Reduce the cost/risk of making immersive sims by creating a library (similar to SpeedTree) of imsim features (whatever people can agree those might be).
  2. Define Bethesda’s games as “immersive sims.”

You can’t say the Fallout and Elder Scrolls franchises haven’t been enormous commercial successes. If those were defined to be immersive sims, the genre would clearly be doing just fine. Of course, you could argue those games aren’t immersive sims because of this or that or some other “but they don’t do X” reason… but I could just as easily argue they aren’t all that far off – certainly they’re closer to being immersive sims than a lot of other kinds of games are.

So there’s a question: for those who are certain Fallout and TES and the upcoming Starfield are definitely not immersive sims, what features – specifically – would those kinds of games need to have in order to tolerate calling them immersive sims (and, one hopes, attracting other developers to try to make more such games)?

Interesting: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-pappas-49771a3/

Level Designer on System Shock 3

Dates Employed Apr 2019 – Mar 2020

Employment Duration 1 yr

Working in the outer reaches of the galaxy on a //REDACTED// that might //REDACTED//

But he’s apparently still at OtherSide Boston?

The fall of OtherSide Boston.

Will Texeira, Lead Engineer: https://www.linkedin.com/in/willteixeira/

Evil Genius (Lead Engineer)

Company Name Otherside Entertainment (Full-time)
Dates Employed Dec 2014 – Apr 2020
Employment Duration 5 yrs 5 mos
Location Concord, Ma

Projects:
-Engineering Lead on Underworld Ascendant (PC, Xbox, PS4)
-Underworld Overlord (Mobile VR)
-Unannounced Project

Aerin Artessa, UI/UX Designer: https://www.linkedin.com/in/aerin-artessa/

UI/UX Designer

Company Name OtherSide Entertainment (Contract)
Dates Employed Dec 2019 – Apr 2020
Employment Duration 5 mos

Worked on preliminary UX/UI work for an unannounced title.

:slightly_frowning_face:

We’re still here. We’re all working remotely right now, probably like most of you. Our new concept is coming along nicely and we are really excited about it. We have cool and we think distinctive art style for it and we have that and gameplay coming together in UE4. I know it’s a tease, but I just can’t really say anything about it at this point.

I hope you all are staying safe and healthy in these unfortunate times. Maybe even gaming more than usual, I know I am.

Walter, that’s the best news I’ve heard in a while – thank you! I look forward to when more can be revealed.

Good luck to everybody still there, and do stay safe.

Is UE4 now the engine? Sounds epic! I recently played another 3D Unity game called The Forest and it was technically pretty trash (didn’t like the game either, since you have to chop wood for hours which is retarded and boring). The graphics in this game are so weird, like the sunlight reflects from surfaces in daylight so brightly you cannot see them. The animations are so Unity like, clunky and unnatural. The worst part is the optimization, which is not horrible in this case, but the game still dips quite low quite often even with a high end GPU, while the game is not really that good looking once you play it. It seems you cannot make a decent looking 3D game without issues in Unity, so I don’t recommend to even bother.

Only decent looking AND fluid to play 3D game made with it which I happen to know is the new Ubisoft title Roller Champions, but even that game doesn’t really have the level of fidelity you would expect from a new System Shock title. So, stay away from this engine if you plan to have more modern complex graphics in your game!

Anyways, Unity or not, I’m really excited to hear that progress is happening. Keep it up!

Is System Shock 3 still happening though?

Reported by VGC: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/system-shock-3-firm-still-here-insists-marketing-boss-but-no-word-on-dev-team/

I figured it was just a hard pause. Warren may be poking and prodding at things in his personal dedication. He did say he’d rather never make a game if he couldn’t make an immersive sim, and I feel pretty good saying he hasn’t retired. Anyway, hard pause.

Some guy on Reddit:

I can’t provide any sources or proof bc I want to be anonymous, but I was at one point close to the situation. So you can either believe this or not.

Basically there is no studio developing the game, but there is still a core team that still exists, but they’re more like publishers or IP holders at this point. I’m not sure the extent of who or how many remain, but it’s my understanding that they’re higher level producers/designers. They’re looking for a co-developer- a studio who can provide programmers, artists, QA, etc etc to get the game made, while the remaining guys provide design and other direction.

Co development isn’t uncommon in the industry, and I don’t have enough details to know if they could ever get the project off the ground. It depends on things like profit share, who eats the cost and whatnot. But that’s pretty much where the game is now- I’d say it’s more or less in limbo or arrested development.

Why don’t just make a kickstarter campaign then so we could found the development and release? i’d definitely give my money for it!

Well, looks like Will Texeira has been replaced: https://www.linkedin.com/in/zachkamsler/

Principal Engineer

Company Name OtherSide Entertainment (Full-time)
Dates Employed Apr 2020 – Present
Employment Duration 1 mo

OtherSide Boston still lives.

Woah, UE4? Please don’t tell me we have another Epic Game Store exclusive on our hand.

It would be foolish to let this game slip just because it’s Epic Store exclusive, this might be even necessary funding wise. I don’t mind either way, but I certainly hope this game is available in Epic Store.

Funding the release, too? The release? Holy crap, crowdfunding a new publisher and distributor we could take over the world!

I didn’t say it must have a retail release. But i guess distributing a game on various platforms must have some cost as well. Or it either can be supported by Epic and be an EGS exclusive, which i really don’t want.