Ongoing updates, fixes and improvements

Hi everyone, we wanted to give you all a quick update on our current thinking about ongoing updates, fixes and improvements:

• Near term Hotfix - we have a fix in for what in our testing resolves a couple of crashes some people are experiencing. It also includes a few other fixes. We hope to have this out in the next few days, but seems like certainly this week.

• Update 3 - we’ve received a lot of good feedback about Update 2 and see that we can do some real work toward polishing and fixing a number of things that will make the game a better game overall. That’s becoming our focus for it versus major new feature or changes (like in Update 2). We also need to do some work to get the console and other versions ready for launch. I don’t have a definitive timeline on this, but our hope is that it will take less time than Update 2 took.

• Beyond - it’s all TBD at this point. We have a bunch of ideas for things we could add to the game and we’ll also want to continue to improve and fix the game as the feedback comes in. I mentioned it in another thread so I’ll mention it here too: we are looking at how we can add NPCs to the game that offer more interaction, but we can’t commit to anything in particular yet.

We appreciate you all sticking around here and continuing to support us!

My “realistic” wishlist for update 3:

• more stability / physics fixes. You’ve been doing some progress in that area but IMO you’re still very far off from a having a consistent game. Random deaths due to a slight bump into a door aren’t acceptable 3 months after release anymore, if you see what I mean.

• some work on AI. It’s still far below my minimum acceptable state. Skeletons shouldn’t be getting stuck into geometry or turning their back to you for no reason ( like in the middle of a room with no immediate block ). I’m still seeing random AI behaviors that make zero sense; in fact, it seems like the AI is still bugged.

• more work on difficulty; it’s all over the place, with no real challenge IMO. However, a big part of it is related to the idiotic AI behavior. If you can solve the AI, maybe the difficulity will feel better. At the moment I do not feel any threat moving around the dungeon, even when there are skeletons.

• finally, more work on diversity. The game is in desperate need to more monster types, especially in the lower levels; it’s no fun to find, yet again, more skeletons or lizardmen. I want to feel more threatened by monstrosities or critters, and have them different behaviors than other enemies.

This is on target. We’ve narrowed down a couple of the issues with movement/physics that are impacting player experience: 1) inconsistent fall damage and 2) some automatic momentum when jumping (happens next to objects, stairs, some slopes). Working on fixes to those already and looking at some of the similar things that have come up like taking environmental damage in your example…

[quote author=OSE Walter link=topic=8587.msg38874#msg38874 date=1551120690]

I imagine that you’re tired of me asking about OSX and Linux. I’m sure tired of asking.

I paid for alpha access. I paid for beta access. I paid for the full game. I watch update after update for Windows get released, while getting told “We’ll compile for you right after this next build…” and then never get a build.

I’m glad to see UA growing after the rough start, but how about an initial release for your inconsequential customers? Also, please consider refunding the extra $100 I paid for all of the early access, as that can never be fulfilled.

I was in a rush out of the office and didn’t notice that I botched the quote. That quote was not from OSE Walter. Sorry for any confusion. It should have looked like this:

I imagine that you’re tired of me asking about OSX and Linux. I’m sure tired of asking.

I paid for alpha access. I paid for beta access. I paid for the full game. I watch update after update for Windows get released, while getting told “We’ll compile for you right after this next build…” and then never get a build.

I’m glad to see UA growing after the rough start, but how about an initial release for your inconsequential customers? Also, please consider refunding the extra $100 I paid for all of the early access, as that can never be fulfilled.

Thats a good summary of what I posted earlier! couldn’t be more in agreement. Just add the UI fixes, can’t be very difficult to fix the one which make items dissappear and the other having to drop an item for picking a new one even if you have room for more, lets say, arrows in a stack. Those are the most nastiest bugs UI related, as they make the player to micromanage for nothing.

Also thank you for the hotfix, just saw it on steam. The loading crash happened to me a couple times,

I agree with more creatures. What Lovecraftian monstrosities lurk below?

I’m encouraged by the post here. Any product can be continually improved to the benefit of both the developer and the gamer. Making those updates shows that desire.

-TK

Keep up the good work and updates!