System Shock 3 is being published by Tencent

http://whois.domaintools.com/systemshock3.com

Registrant Org: Tencent Holdings Limited

Updated last month.

Apparently that is not accurate information.

According to Andre on OtherSide’s SS3 Discord server, a registration search for https://otherside-e.com/wp/games/system-shock-3/ shows OtherSide Entertainment as the owner of “System Shock 3.”

Huh. It would be weird if they had a publisher, but weren’t funded.

Um, that’s not the same address.

BTW Tencent also have http://whois.domaintools.com/systemshock4.com

Picked up by mainstream press:

Thanks for your journalism, by the way.

I see the top dog at Tencent is a philanthropist. I was wondering if Warren S. maybe had connections to someone on their Board, or someone there is a fan. Tencent being founded in 1998 is also one of those coincidences that doesn’t mean anything, like another cofounder starting Wuhan College. Deus Ex game narrative ain’t real life, I know.

We are happy to announce that Tencent will be taking the System Shock franchise forward. As a smaller Indie studio, it had been challenging for us to carry the project on our own. We believe Tencent’s deep capabilities and expertise as a leading game company will bring the franchise to new heights.

Does this mean that Tencent is funding OtherSide’s development, or that they have purchased it to move to another development studio? Are you guys still involved?

What’s weird is Tencent owns fractions of many IPs. The possibility of the IP being owned by disparate parties that has stymied many efforts to go forward with other legacy IPs feels like lessons not learned.

Otherside, please. Your vague wording here does nothing but damage the reputation surrounding your game. There’s so many ways you can interpret that statement that I don’t even blame the people for spreading misinformation. Most of them are probably doing it unknowingly, and it shows by just reading out a few posts from them. Please answer these questions so there’s no room for misinterpretation:

1. Is Tencent funding the project or are they publishing the project? Is it a mix of both?

2. Are they stepping in to develop the game in cooperation with Otherside, or are foreseeing all future development of the game without Otherside? Are they just a middle man?

3. Does Tencent’s involvement mean the game will be an EGS timed exclusive?

4. Has Otherside transferred the licence to develop System Shock 3 over to Tencent, or does Otherside still have full creative control over the game?

Alyssa, thank you for making an official statement verifying that OtherSide has allowed Tencent some involvement with the System Shock 3 game. (And Infinitron, you were right.)

In addition to Skadril’s very reasonable follow-up questions, which I hope you will answer on behalf of OtherSide, I would also like to know whether Warren Spector will continue to lead the SS3 project.

This is great news I think. I trust Tencent understands what the fans want and Otherside negotiated a contract beneficial for themselves and us the players. Very nice job!

We are still involved, but we can’t speak on it much further than that at this point in time. As we are allowed to make more information public, we will do so.

Just wondering if any more has happened on this front? :slight_smile:

I hope Tencent’s involvement isn’t vital: