UNDERWORLD ASCENDANT PRE-ALPHA BACKER BUILD FAQ

Hey all,

We just sent out a mail to those who backed at ADVENTURER tiers and above or the Prototype Access Add-on, which granted access to the Pre-Alpha Backer Build of the game, so wanted to recapitulate the details about how to access it.

That build will start to become available around 1PM Eastern Standard Time tomorrow on Thursday, August 10th.

If you’ve already played earlier prototype builds in the past:

[ul]
[li]Easy! Just start up your Steam account and you’ll find the new build has replaced the old one. (You may need to restart Steam for it to appear.)[/li]
[/ul]

If you haven’t received Steam codes in the past:

[ul]
[li]Steam codes are being distributed via Backerkit. Check your email for a message from Backerkit or go directly to your Backerkit Pledge Manager. (If you haven’t set up your Backerkit account yet, this would be a good time to dig up that invite mail.)[/li]
[/ul]

For details on how to activate the Steam code, go to: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5414-tfbn-1352

The Pre-Alpha Build is meant to highlight:

[ul]
[li]The game’s visual bar and core tenets of combat, stealth, and magic.[/li]
[li]The world as an interactive toybox full of interesting opportunities for the player to experiment with and areas that provide unique opportunities and challenges.[/li]
[li]Interactive elements that the player can combine with skills, spells, and each other, such as:
o Physics-based traps that can be manipulated and exploited.
o Spreading fire that can be weaponized.
o Caches of useful items.
o “Glue bulbs” that can stick to objects.[/li]
[li]An initial implementation of rewarding the player for creativity.[/li]
[/ul]

The Pre-Alpha Build is not representative of the final product.

[ul]
[li]The implementation of skills, combat, stealth, and spells is all still preliminary work. We will be refining and honing how they work, adding functionality, and polishing usability.[/li]
[li]You may encounter bugs and it lacks the full range of weapons, skills, magic, and meta elements such as quest selection and player growth.[/li]
[/ul]

A few things to note:

[ul]
[li]The method of acquiring skills in the Skill Shrine is not how player growth will function in the game. The current implementation acts as a shortcut for demo purposes, so players can quickly experiment with different skills and abilities. Spellcasting is similarly streamlined here and not indicative of how it will work in the game.[/li]
[li]Creature animations are not representative of the game’s visual target. This is an important area we feel deserving of concentrated effort and are focusing on it currently. Also, time spent on vfx and rendering optimization has been very limited.[/li]
[li]While the game supports both keyboard and controllers, some UI issues remain for the latter. Similarly, some loading screens may lag. Crashes may also occur.[/li]
[li]Deeper, darker sepulchral areas and fearsome dungeon creatures will be seen soon in upcoming updates.[/li]
[/ul]

We hope you enjoy the Pre-Alpha Build of Underworld Ascendant and look forward to your feedback, as we continue to expand and refine the game further. We’d really appreciate if you’d fill out the survey linked in the build and take part in the upcoming Developer Roundtable, mentioned in the latest update.

Beyond that, here are a few common questions that came up before:

Where do I find my Code?
The code will be with your digital downloads on Backerkit.

Is there a MAC version?
Sorry, only Windows PC at the moment. If you use Bootcamp on your Mac, it may work but this is completely untested.

Exactly which build is this again?
This is the Pre-Alpha Backer Build, which is accessible to those who backed at ADVENTURER tiers and above or the Prototype Access Add-on. Earlier builds were the Playground and Pre-Alpha Prototype. More will come later.

Are you asking us to pay to betatest?
Nope. But we greatly appreciate your feedback.

Does downloading the Pre-Alpha Build on Steam lock me into using Steam for the full game?

It does not. The Pre-Alpha Build Steam code is a separate digital download, so downloading it does not lock you into Steam for the full game. (Unlike games on Steam Early Access, it won’t morph into the full game later.) the choice of whether you want the full game on Steam or GOG is covered in your Backerkit survey.

Thank you, Joe! I appreciate the trust you and the team are showing to the community supporting this game, and I hope we’re able to offer feedback that’s useful to you.

Question: Where will the build notes be located?

Just for the record, there’s no codes there. Might I find them somewhere else? I’m an Avatar-level backer, just to be clear.

Question: Will there be an NDA or will streaming / screen capture be discouraged?

Likewise, I have no code in my “digital downloads” on Backerkit.

The only codes released already would be Prototype access, which was Lore Seeker tier, or those who purchased the add-on. Adventurer tiers should see their code in BackerKit by 1pm tomorrow.

I’m also Legendary Hero tier and have no code in “Digital Downloads” on Backerit, but will wait until 1pm today as it has been indicated.

There wasn’t an NDA for the prototype and things like streaming, posting screenshots, talking about the prototype were very much encouraged by the devs. I don’t think it will be any different this time. But I think it would be nice to at least mention that it’s still work in progress.

The same here, I’m also Legendary Hero tier.

Sorry if that question was already asked before, but is that possible to activate Steam Access to Pre-Alpha and then change to GOG after release?

Thanks for sharing on the history and hopefully it will remain the same during the pre-Alpha, but yeah would like some confirmation again from the Devs.

Ooh exciting - I wasn’t expecting to be included in this (I thought the add-on was just good for the earlier prototypes!), looking forward to having a play!

Quick question - is the name of the entry on Steam going to change to reflect the new Pre-Alpha going live - currently it’s listed in Steam as “Underworld Ascendant Playtest”? I’m just trying to work out if there is going to be a way to know for certain when the new version is available (my internet is terrible so I don’t want to start downloading the old version again by mistake!

I’m 99% sure, but let me confirm. I’d hate to be wrong.

My apologies! I realize this was unclear.

Edit: After 1PM EST, check your email for a message from Backerkit or go directly to your Backerkit Pledge Manager. (If you haven’t set up your Backerkit account yet, this would be a good time to dig up that invite mail.)

The Pre-Alpha Build Steam code is a separate digital download, so downloading it does not lock you into Steam for the full game. (Unlike games on Steam Early Access, it won’t morph into the full game later.) the choice of whether you want the full game on Steam or GOG is covered in your Backerkit survey.

Adding this to the FAQ.

Any answer on this one Joe?

It’s the same. Stream, post, talk about it. If you want high-rez screenshots you can press Shift+F12 now, then check your ‘My Pictures/Underworld Ascendant’ folder.

I switched the name to “Underworld Ascendant Pre-Alpha Build”. It should switch itself with the new download, you can always restart steam to force any new downloads (Steam’s updates are staggered). It changed it on mine.

ua pre-alpha build screenshot.PNG

Hey everyone,
Valve is taking a bit longer than expected to give us the new keys, sorry for the delay.
You’ll get an email from backerkit if you haven’t received steam codes from us in the past (the new build replaces the old one).

I’m excited to try out this prototype build but I’ve been having some issues getting the code. My backer kit says I’m at adventurer tier and I’ve been able to download rewards before (underworld I + II, plus wallpaper and etc.) but the code hasn’t appeared and I haven’t received an email. Is there anything I can do?