Weekly Updates?

We went through a nice patch of having small but useful little updates posted on here giving us a brief peek at what the team were up to each week, but these seem to have dropped off recently.

It was nice to get a mini update each week and also seemed to lead to some nice discussion on these forums so: any chance of these starting up again?

Yeah, would be nice to hear what’s going on from time to time. Even if it’s just some amusing anecdote.

i also would love if Sam’s great Monday updates made a return! :slight_smile: They were always an interesting read, and made the forums much livelier.

Might be something to talk about on these forums, as well.

We had some fun at today’s Roundtable. For example, did you know that no bear fights are planned for UA? It’s true!

There may be some other, lesser infobits to share from today’s get-together.

Didn’t know there was another roundtable. Any new info to summarize?

To summarise some things from the roundtable ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ZD2y91CrY ):

[ul]
[li]Loud noises at the beggining :D[/li]
[li]sluangkhot is now doing the Mac/Linux pre-alpha build (I think).[/li]
[li]The best example of a finished and polished game is in fact a Unicorn.[/li]
[li]DLC is planned.[/li]
[li]Stealth is up and running to an extent.[/li]
[li]Whether or not readable books will be in the game is still to be determined.[/li]
[li]Dire berries are in the game now.[/li]
[li]Some more discussion of the interactive map (There are currently a few ways to annotate it).[/li]
[li]There are more claustrophobic spaces now.[/li]
[li]Moral choices are described as being similar to Dishonored mission stats at the end of a level in terms of determining how many experience/skill points you get after going through a level.[/li]
[li]In the current build, the player is able to use magic and damage stuff while in Marcaul.[/li]
[li]Whether or not there is a difficulty setting and how it would work hasn’t been decided on and would likely not be added in until Beta, if at all.[/li]
[li]Spellcasting might be talked about in more detail within 2 newsletters time.[/li]
[li]No guarantees, but the Alpha build might contain the tutorial, Marcaul, and one whole level. No info on when the Alpha will release, but there will be more information after SXSW. Additionally, there might be some experimentation with Feats in the Alpha.[/li]
[li]There will be no VR version.[/li]
[li]There are several different groups of lizardmen, the Saurians are one of those groups.[/li]
[li]The dialogue system is still being figured out, but it won’t be a system of giant dialogue trees.[/li]
[li]Once upon a time there was a bug where Deep Slugs would scream the Lizard Man word for Man. :o[/li]
[li]Inventory system is like System Shock 2/Arx Fatalis, no inventory tetris.[/li]
[li]The Hall of Immortals will likely be somewhere in Marcaul. The Hall and The Homely Lordly Abodes will likely not be in the Alpha.[/li]
[li]Marcaul will likely be the only place where you can trade/barter.[/li]
[li]Sleeping isn’t something that the player will need to be worrying much about. The player will accept a mission, go out and adventure, and when they come back to Marcaul the world state will have changed and a day or so has passed, and somewhere in that time they rest.[/li]
[li]Outcasts will be sort of neutral towards you but still kind of hate you.[/li]
[li]Chattering Bart/Bertha is planned out but the VO hasn’t been recorded yet.[/li]
[li]There are scary unique monsters.[/li]
[li]The Lurker apparently looks very scary.[/li]
[li]NPC’s have schedules but don’t use them as heavily as games like Skyrim/Oblivion. For example, merchants won’t be unavailable due to sleeping during the night.[/li]
[li]They’re aiming for a ESRB rating of T.[/li]
[li]Their next big information release will be SXSW.[/li]
[/ul]

So that’s some of it, but there’s more hidden throughout the video. :wink:

Very nice summary, Tek – thank you!

No problem, happy to help. :slight_smile:

I’ll watch the roundtable and see if I have any questions. The part of about scary and unique monsters is compelling. So are the rest of the responses. The gods are mightily pleased.

Yeah thanks for the write-up, some interesting things in there - sounds like they’re really wrestling with the true guts of the game now which is great!

This bit is intriguing:

The player will accept a mission, go out and adventure, and when they come back to Marcaul the world state will have changed and a day or so has passed, and somewhere in that time they rest.

Sounds similar to Thief 3 where the hub of The City had specific set ups for each day of the game and advanced through them as the player completed each mission.

Not a complaint as such, and I may be misinterpreting what has been discussed so far, but it this seems to suggest a more linear and designer controlled game progression than I was expecting - more akin to a mission based game ala Thief than something more free form/open world?

Yeah, sorry for my dropped off weekly updates! Things have just been really busy this whole month in particular since we’re gearing up for SXSW, and my duties have expanded.

Tek, thank you for the awesome outline of the Roundtable! I think you got most of the big questions, so that’s very helpful for people who couldn’t attend.

Confirmed, I’M now in charge of Mac and Linux builds for pre-alpha. (Or at least speeding things up and making sure the pipeline is easier for when we release the Alpha builds). Can now more confidently say that those builds are MADE, but they need at least 1 or 2 rounds of testing to make sure it’s not too buggy. Also none of us in the office have a Mac… so that’s been a big blocker.

I saw the Lurker for the first time when it was a placeholder, and that alone was frightening… and then I saw the 3d model and I am even MORE afraid of him. I had to double check what the original Lurkers looked like in the original UWs, and those are maybe 1/15th as scary as what I saw… shudders

Here’s hoping the abyss is dark and scary.

Tek, thanks for the write-up.

The dialogue system is still being figured out, but it won't be a system of giant dialogue trees.

Surprised this isn’t bolted-down yet, since I’m assuming it’s an integral part of game-play in terms of determining player choices. Maybe it’s secondary to Feats etc in terms of local outcomes?

Once upon a time there was a bug where Deep Slugs would scream the Lizard Man word for Man.

Sounds great, spooky, leave it in…think Donald Sutherland at the end of…( Invasion Of The Body Snatchers…?)

Sleeping isn't something that the player will need to be worrying much about.

Boo. Hopefully it has some role? Does it exist in the game? I hope so. It’s part of the character of the game.

The player will accept a mission, go out and adventure, and when they come back to Marcaul the world state will have changed and a day or so has passed, and somewhere in that time they rest.<<

I hope it’s not an entirely mission-based system, and that you can stay ‘out in the world’ indefinitely if you want to. It’s sounding a lot like the Chris Robert’s system of ‘return hom eto get your orders and collect your reward’. I really hope not. I don’t want a day-releasepass to Disneyworld, onlyto have to go back to the hotel in the evening, so to speak. This isn’t sound like a continuous/contiguous world, but one that is accessed piecemeal. If so, that would be a major mistake IMO.

Tek and everyone, ask and you shall recieve! Wonderful summary, a lot to ponder.

\O/

Oh, I’d say our dialogue system is figured out. (It better be, since we’ve done a lot of recording.) We’re just saving details about the game’s reactive narrative for future updates.

This has much potential!

Oui, absolutement. I don’t want to get too enthusiastic about how far Joe & OtherSide might be taking things here, but character dialogue interaction feels like an area that’s ripe for innovation.

I will mention that Kingdom Come: Deliverance is really irritating me by putting timers on my dialogue choices. It doesn’t (so far) go quite as far as I’ve heard some of David Cage’s games go, where everything’s a QTE… but it’s still perplexing not to have enough time to think about which response feels more natural for the character I’m playing.

Visual Novels (VNs) do a better job here, I think. Because textual interactions are their bread and butter, they’re willing to play a little more with the player’s expectations in dialogues. They give the player time to choose responses that feel right, but then deliver meaningful consequences for those choices… and not always right away. It might be very interesting to bring that approach to a more conventional action-game-with-conversations.

Oh can’t wait!! :slight_smile:

I definitely agree with you. And I wish there were more people in the industry attempting this kind of innovation. I know AAA is not the right place for it, but I can imagine indie teams being capable of doing this, since they don’t have the restrictions that AAA projects have. In fact, if anyone knows of indie titles that innovate with dialogue, I’d be happy to try them.

Visual Novels (VNs) do a better job here, I think. Because textual interactions are their bread and butter, they're willing to play a little more with the player's expectations in dialogues. They give the player time to choose responses that feel right, but then deliver meaningful consequences for those choices... and not always right away. It might be very interesting to bring that approach to a more conventional action-game-with-conversations.

Sounds good! I’d play that game. It would definitely be a long-waited breath of fresh air if the industry was suddenly overtaken by a culture of bravely trying something new and determinedly creating something original. I can’t begin to express how great it is to see Otherside doing just that! :slight_smile:

So, essentially NOTHING is ready.

Hate to be that guy, but this game doesn’t exactly seem like it’s coming out in 2018.