What fan-mods would you like to see?

Ooh, those all sound fun!

And… dare I say… doable? ;)

I would like to see a port to OSX.

I definitely think we need a mod where the player wields dual rocket-launchers, and can rocket-jump. Also, gay romance options with the lizardmen.

@Flatfingers: Adding areas is kinda tricky, since we likely won’t have the “Kit pieces”, just the baked statics which might not be stored as separate items: we’d need to chop them up and make a kit from them, before putting them together. Plus, Unity crashes when importing a bunch of their resources when I export them. I’ve logged a bug with Unity, and they’ve reproduced it, so it might get fixed, but… :slight_smile: I know how fast dev goes, that’s not likely happening any time soon, I imagine, unless it’s a bug affecting a lot of people.

Adding objects should be a lot more doable :)

Getting any remaining runes working is fersure top of my list, as well as fleshing out the magic system with more discoverable and extrapolatable spells. Maybe add more verb meanings for existing spells?

Dialogue trees is probably number two of my personal list, though I lack the writing chops to fill the trees :( You never know what’ll make it into patch 4, anyway. Could be we’ll already have the infrastructure in there :)

Adding new monster and trap assets will be hard, but probably feasible. I’ve not done this outside of Bethesda’s stuff, but it seems feasible in theory.

@smpita: Given an OSX port is already planned by OSE, I doubt that;ll need much work from fans, other than bugfixes. Though I don’t think the Unity tools are very full-featured for anything other than PC.

@DawnrazorDCLXVI : well, if there’ll be modding, there’ll be nude and sex mods. It’s just the way things are. Honestly, I wouldn’t be half as interested in modding if that wasn’t how things were :D Sex is fun!

But romance… gay or straight, romance is hard. You need to add enough dialog, enough shared experiences, enough tension, that the player actually cares about the other character. It’s a very rare game that can manage it well, and I think few modders have that level of narrative skill. We’re mostly engineers, not great writers, sadly :(

Dual wielding rocket launchers and rocket-jumping seems a little redundant given magic and jump skills, but I guess it’s doable if there’s interest.

I hope you realize I was satirizing modern games. XD

Why not combine these? “Love in the Age of Dual-Wielding Rocket Launchers”

:smile:

I understand that adding simple (non-interactive) objects is easier than building new areas. Maybe not coincidentally, new areas to explore would be more interesting. That is, I’d be more interested in more audacious fan-projects. That doesn’t mean I’d be unhappy to see someone import a new lore-friendly dining set; I’d just rather see what someone could do to build a whole new area, even if it takes longer to get that more complex mod.

@DawnrazorDCLXVI: Yeah, but it was funnier to play it straight ;)

@FlatFingers: Yeah, more complex stuff might be more fun, though I think adding some life into the existing areas would be nice to see as well as adding more areas.

For the moment at least, changing code is the easiest; changing existing resources (textures, meshes, strings, etc) looks like it might be almost as easy.

Changing maps, item placement, etc looks a fair bit harder, but looks like it might become possible with some work.

I don’t think at this point I’d say there’s anything impossible to mod. Only lots that I just don’t know how, at least not yet.

Once patch 4 is out, I hope to release a tutorial at least for modding the bits that I understand how to mod :) Not much point modding before P4, since everything might change.

Immediately after P4, I’ll also start a thread to try to get a list of all remaining bugs, so we can get to work on a bugfix mod. Might make a github to manage the bug list, so we can categorize them (item placement, text/translation error, etc).

One of the bigger challenges will be figuring out how to make non-conflicting mods that don’t need to be four gigs to download. I’m hoping the existing DLC infrastructure will help there, but haven’t looked into it.

Heh - whoever tries to nude-mod Aelita is going to have their work cut out. She’s been optimized properly, so all that’s left of her body is two shoulders, a hand, and half a face.

The cthonians, on the other hand… ;)

I will not be surprised if it turns out modders are up for this challenge…

I would (not) want to see a nude Cabirus mod…

…but on the other hand, replacing Cabirus’ model with Garrett? Or another Stephen Russell figure who may occasionally spout quips from their original game? Hilarious.

Speaking of which, I always find the fan-mod of the RE2 Remake changing Mr. X into Thomas the Tank Engine extremely funny.

It’s sort of an odd commentary on the times we live in, but it seems like nude mods have become the “Hello, world” of modding – the first thing you do just to prove the process.

Apparently you know you’ve achieved mastery when you switch out Skyrim’s dragons for Randy “Macho Man” Savage… :scream:

Having a dragon land dramatically in front of you just to bark out “HELL YE” is so wonderful!! Breaks immersion, but makes me feel a lot more excited to see dragons in general.

Mod = Modification and that’s != Mission building.

modifying seems so “simple”. I would like to be able to challenge myself with new tasks and goals.

give me a “mod” that complicates completion. let me choose to “eliminate all enemies” or “break every breakable”. better yet, let me use the existing level/world to layout my own quest by placing NPCs, enemies, traps, resources, loot, and whatever while also defining my objectives and winning conditions.

that to me is “Fan-Mods”.

I think, for me, the priorities are:

[Edit: moved up to the first post, and updated with status and blockers]

Chances of me achieving even just item 1 are minimal, but I intend to at least try, and have been working towards this for the last few weeks.

A fully-realized Spatula City. DO IT!

VR mod would be fascinating. I know we did some early VR tests but investors didn’t seem interested in it at the time, and we didn’t have enough VR-experience inhouse to work with it on our own. It seemed promising, from what Will told me.

A shame too; I could definitely see myself playing UA at home with VR. Would definitely follow progress on that.

Map marking and annotations. It’s something I miss from the Underworlds.

Handy for notes about locked doors, what the various world-changing things do, chest locations, etc etc.

Maybe options to auto-mark chests found, etc.

Also good for sharing maps with helpful notes. Though beware: items are at least somewhat randomly placed, so no two people will have the exact same placement.

Good point on map notations. These were mentioned earlier on in development. Not sure why they didn’t make the game. I was gonna add, in all seriousness, a co-op mode would be fun.

If map notes could be saved and recalled, separate from a whole Save-Game file, that’d be a bonus. I don’t expect it, however. Always bummed me out when I had to handwrite a note outside a game in spite of an annotation option in-game, because it would cease to exist.

I thought at one point we could add dots and text, but they appeared on all maps, not just the one you added the note to. If that could be polished, and additional marker icons added, that would be excellent.