Your Dream Game

90sgamer92 started an interesting thread to discuss an idea for a particular dream game.

That’s got me curious: who else has a vision of the One True Game they’d like to play or create? What would the short elevator pitch for that game look like?

To get things started, here’s mine:

[hr]

The Living World is a first-person 3D single-player game that can be played every day for ten years without reloading or restarting and always offers something fun to do.

This will be achieved by creating a large and highly dynamic world filled with characters who possess and use a wide range of abilities. Players will be able to explore and play in this world by “inhabiting” characters, gaining access to their abilities and relationships. If you feel like doing something different, just inhabit a different character!

[hr]

I’ve worked this out in more detail elsewhere, but that’s the gist of it. Here’s one of the implications: when you inhabit a character, anyone who knows that character knows they’ve been possessed… and knowledge of what you do as that character can be spread to other NPCs. In that gameworld, what stories will be told of the Spirit that can control anyone at any time? Will the world come to love you? Or fear you? Or be wary of you as an unpredictable trickster?

So that’s mine. What about you? What’s the distilled essence of the last game you’d ever need?

I understand that, for some, no single such game is even conceivable. That’s fine. For those who do have such a marvel in mind, though, and who don’t need the rest of us to sign an NDA before talking about it, let’s hear it!

My dream game is a game that evolves.

Like, it starts out with ASCII characters on screen, like a text based adventure game, and then as you play, you’ll obtain certain elements like color, or the ability to see your surroundings (e.g. rogue). Over time it would evolve into either a 2D game (like the 2D legend of zelda games, or early final fantasy games) or into a 3D game (like battlezone, or other early 3D games). The graphics would then improve as you progressed and you would end up specializing in different genres, like for instance, if you became a lord or a king, it would be like a city builder or management game; or if you were like a commander, it would be near to an RTS type game; or say you liked to be by yourself and kill things, it would evolve into like an action rpg game.

That’s a game that I would like to play. And it’s a bit different than the ones that people have already tried to make of the idea or concept.

So, basically, something like an advanced version of Omikron: The Nomad Soul minus David Bowie?

Evoland.

I would like a 3D MUD.

Time to first “it’s already been done” post: 2.

:wink:

I didn’t play Omikron but I’ve certainly heard of it. I suspect there are a few important differences in implementation between it and the game I have in mind, but I have no illusions that the “inhabit” thing is somehow a new idea. (When Montaigne said, “there is nothing new under the sun,” he was quoting Ecclesiastes.)

One of the features I have in mind is a fairly high level of world-dynamics. Not just the social connections of the world would change as NPCs die and migrate, and build and destroy, but the structure of the world itself would change over many years of game-time. That’s not for “coolness” alone, but to continuously generate new content instances.

The “jumping into people” part also satisfies some of Nekot’s interests. The kinds of abilities you have depend on the abilities and roles of the NPC you inhabit, which in turn suggest types of gameplay. Jump into a ranger and you can tool around the forest; jump into a guard and you get to solve crimes; jump into a farmer and you get to experience the never-ending thrills of watching grass grow (and be trampled by a marching army); jump into a king and you get to play a combination of Civilization and Crusader Kings; jump into a cook and you get to bake bread; and so on.

There are some other features I have in mind to support long-play mode, but this gives you a little more idea what I’m thinking (for whatever that’s worth).

Anyone else feel like describing the One True Game they really would like to play? (Or, in the case of Nekot and Dawnrazor, elaborating further on their preferences?)

Hmm, have you ever played Europa 1400 AKA The Guild? It kind of does what you describe. You don’t get to jump to different people, but you are playing a dynasty over multiple generations with various options for professions and being a blacksmith is somewhat different from being a thief or a money lender.

Hmm. No, I didn’t play that one, but after a bit of reading up on it I wish I had.

That model of sequential “role-playing” actually addresses one of the concerns of someone I ran this idea past a year or so ago. He felt it was too open-ended, and that it would be improved by the addition of rules of play controlling how the player could switch characters. Europa 1400 sounds like one perfectly reasonable way to do that.

If I were to make this game, I might take some steps in that direction. But for right now, I’m thinking of the Living World as more of an open-ended exploration game, where adding rules to serialize the “inhabitation” mechanic would unnecessarily penalize that exploration.

My dream game doesn’t necessarily sell very well. :smiley:

I simply enjoy exploration, dungeons, hidden traps, puzzles, and so forth, so basically I fall into the dungeon crawler category. I also grew up on plenty of multi-user dungeons, which contained more depth than all other MMOs combined. Always wanted an open-ended exploration game, in the vein of Elder Scrolls, first-person, except set in a more Tomb Raider-esque environment, much like Deathtrap Dungeon would have done, were it to have succeeded. I grew up on Lands of Lore II, and it was my first exposure to first person done in realtime. To this day, I have yet to expose myself to a game that imitated it in trms of subtlety, and storytelling, save the original Dark Souls.

I guess if Elder Scrolls has just gone online, and not taken the WOWclone route about it, that would chalk up my idea of a good time. As long as puzzles and exploration are involved, I will monkey around for 6 hours in a sitting, devouring any sort of interesting mechanics. This is where Looking Glass steps in, as my second favorite game is System Shock 2, which led me back to the original, and LGS. Minus the superfluous class system, and weapon degradation, this would have been a perfect game… LOLII was far more of a flawed diamond in the rough, story-wise, the equivalent of Alice: Madness Returns… A work of poetic genius. Sadly, the greatest works fall to the wayside in our bumrush to collect Call of Duties, yet some games are immortal. I guess to an extent, I got my wish with Elder Scrolls, and Dark Souls, yet each has felt flawed in various fashions, Dark Souls excepting… I am not sure where I stand on Underworld, but if this is a successful revival, it will contain many of the ideas I have touched upon, even if they are skill locked. My only hope is it pulls away from cliches, and steers into new territory, in terms of creatures and content. I am getting tired of standard D&D fare, and anything which aspires to genre.

If anything, it should turn to Dear Esther in terms of cave environments. I already mentioned by absolute dream game, a Deus Ex clone, set it isometric real-time combat, done in an aRPG fashion like Diablo, except with Psi, Hacking, and Genetics, along with Katanas; essentially, an untapped area. A cyberpunk aRPG.

Heh, hence the dream part. It does sound a bit like something the parody account of Molyneux would come up with. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t expect it to fulfill all the things you’d like (it won’t be isometric, for one). But what do you think about CD Projekt Red’s upcoming Cyberpunk 2077?

It’s a tribute to the cleverness and creativity of “Molydeux” that I don’t know whether to be pleased or insulted by your comparison. :smiley:

I have yet to play The Witcher 3 but I’m very interested on Cyberpunk 2077. I read that the creator of the tabletop game wasn’t very excited about the idea of a videogame version; however, later he changed his mind and now he’s enthusiast.
I hope that will be a great game and that CD Project will add the languages implants, that you should buy for understand what NPCs, who speak foreigner languages, say.
Imagine a mission where a NPC speak german: if you know german you can do the mission without problem, but if you don’t understand you must buy the implant. Isn’t cool?
Anyway, between the ideas and the reality there’s a great difference, especially on a mass market where companies prefer to make simple games and for everybody, to gain as much as possible but losing, more or less, in quality.

I am less interested in dialogue than in sandbox exploration, but Witcher still tops my list of games, and I wet myself at cyberpunk, so colour me interested.

Another dream is a sandbox Dune RPG with classes like Freeman, Zensufi, Mentat assassin, much in the style of Elder Scrolls, but with a living ecosystem and structured barter system, yet another wishlist item for Underworld, as a fluctuating economy, based on faction strength and trade, forgoing currency, seems more realistic to an ecosystem based on pure survival.

That… would be intriguing. (It reminds me that another dream game of mine would be a modern take on John Carter of Mars.)

Actually, I think the description of an ongoing economy versus a survival-economy is related to the conversation in another thread about developer-dictated story.

Consider two ways of describing the world for a game:

[ul]
[]“The world contains multiple cultures that remain functional throughout the game.”
[
]“The world is a failed utopia in its death throes.”
[/ul]

Which one sounds more epic, and offers more opportunity for Dramatic Storytelling and exciting survival challenges?

Right. :wink:

If the game ends, preferably as part of a slam-bang epic story, then it’s actually counterproductive to waste time trying to design and implement an in-game economy that is both interesting and price-stable over the long run (despite anything the player does). It’s only if you’re designing a game that doesn’t have to end that it might make sense to have an operational, self-sustaining economy… but “no forced ending” implies no forced story.

So I guess this comes back to “what kind of game does UA want to be?”

Which is a bit of a diversion from asking people what their dream game looks like, but I’m not trying too hard to maintain topic orthodoxy here. :wink:

My dream game? Well, I’m making it in the only way I can. Not many can say anything remotely similar. I’m extensively modding my favorite game (Deus Ex), taking it to new heights of game design synergy. I fear that nothing else in my future of game creation will ever best this project as creating something to best my favorite game (now on steroids) from scratch is not possible without millions of dollars, such is the nature of game development. It’s fine though, I still get enjoyment out of working on smaller projects and I’ll have to settle for doing just that once this project is over.

Another one I’ve longed to see is an ice age game about survival, where you have to scavenge for supplies to light your own fire, protect yourself from fierce yetis and sabertooth tigers, and hunt down woolly mammoth for fur and food, all the while looking for shelter from the cold of night.

Lastly, I would love to see a blobber rpg mixed with a point-and-click adventure game, like Myst. One where it is impossible to map, as you have to click where you want to move next. If you see a hollow stump, clicking on it will be move you toward it. If you choose to look at it, click on it again. Every object would have a description attached, and various ways to manipulate it, in the vein of Shadowgate. Also, there would be win-and-lose conditions to puzzles, where they function as death traps, and failure to solve one properly could result in a trap on the adventurers that kills the entire party.

Two more that just occurred: A horror-themed stealth game, similar to thief, but based on survival, avoiding toxic environments, scavenging food, and avoiding attention while lighting fires for warmth, or whatever is necessary to maintain one’s health.

Secondly, I have always longed for a game that combined the best elements of parkour and stealth, something along the lines of Assassin’s Creed meet Thief, but without the shrink wrapped smell of commercial marketing. Parkour would involved running away, and chase scenes, of course. They should also steal the ability to disguise oneself, and perhaps even horror could be present in this, much like the idea above. In fact, I like combining the idea of combining my last two idea together as one game. <3

Maybe my dream game will be Star Citizen.

Hmm. Now I’m imagining a nimble ninja going into Hell to seek retribution for the death of her master.

I am seeing something similar to Outlast, pure stealth and running away scare chase scenes, done parkour style–run-and-hide tactics, with a context-sensitive “use” button–but with no weapons. Lovecraftian horror. That sort of thing.

I’ve always wanted a really dynamic heist game, where you start with a ton of tools and have the ability to plan the jobs beforehand (kind of like the planning in the old Rainbow 6 games, but obviously a lot more in-depth). It would be really cool if there were areas you could talk your way though, sneak through, take hostages, etc. Basically, a lot of the basic ideas you’ve seen in other heist games, but done as an immersive sim.

The cleaner and tidier the heist, the more points you get, which can then be used to get new equipment, blueprints, information, etc. for the next heist.

Just some thoughts for potential options:

– paying off an inside man who will let you into the building
– disguising yourself as an employee of the building
– straight up sneaking in Thief-style
– sweet talking the guards (this could even be gender and orientation specific, so if you are a charming dude, and the guard is a gay man, you might pull it off. Or if you’re a woman and the guard is a hetero dude, etc.) This information could be purchased beforehand, so you can build your team for the job accordingly.

Basically, it would come down to building enough systems that every heist could be pulled off in enough ways to offer serious replay value.

I thought all of this was pretty pie-in-the-sky until I played The Phantom Pain, which has a similar number of systems and options, so I think we’re getting to the point where a game like this would be possible.